It is a very hard time for everyone. Directly or indirectly everyone is affected by this blood thirst pandemic. Irrespective of caste, creed, region and economy status all people are affected by this pandemic. Even Though the mortality rate of covid-19 is not so high, but its infection rate is very high, so the World Health Organization announced it as a pandemic. Throughout the world every nation’s economy is affected by this pandemic. This is one of the greatest disasters that mankind has faced. All sectors of the countries around the globe are badly affected and it takes much time to recover from it.
This pandemic also extended its enormous shadow on education system also. Lakhs of children throughout the world are loosing their valuable education due to this pandemic. Every single child has right to get free education, But due to this pandemic it seems that they may lose their right “Right to education”. This infectious disease is very mortal for children and old people. So the children should stay at home during this pandemic period. And so the children should stay away from gatherings and schools. If they stay away from the school they won’t get education. So this is very hard time for students during this pandemic.
Now the Union government is proposing many reforms in the government education system. Important of them are to conduct schools on alternative days and digital education. Providing digital education is a wonderful idea, but when it comes to its implementation it has to face many hurdles. Let’s observe the pros and cons of the digital education.
Scope of digital education in government schools.
- Lots of e-content for digital education is available on public domains in internet. It can be accessed by one who can access the internet.
- E-content can be accessed on mobile phones also with data charges only
- Most digital educational mobile applications are also available on the Google play store and the Apple store for free of cost. Some mobile applications are paid applications.
- We can use social networking applications for sharing digital content. For example we can create a wattsap group with parent contacts and post the digital content on that Wattsap group So that every student can get the education from his home.
- We can use zoom, Google meet, microsoft teams…etc mobile applications to conduct online classes and webinars.
- We can use Google forms, Microsoft docs to conduct and evaluate examinations. We also collect and record their responses through the application.
- We can upload and store our e-content in our google drive. Then we share that material with our learners via social networking sites.
- The children will get concrete and qualitative education.
Limitations and barriers in implementing digitaal education.
- Teacher’s place is unique, his place never be replaced by any technology. Even though we have a higher technology, still we need a teacher to organize a class room.
- Most of parents are belong to rural areas, illiterates and below poverty line. They may not able to buy and use a smartphone.
- Most of the students, especially teenagers may misuse the technology by playing dangerous games or seeing pornography sites. So there must be parent/ teacher supervision while learners using internet or smartphone. We can monitor and control their smartphone usage by installing antivirus software or some special applications. For example Quick heel anti virus, Google family link.. Etc
- Most of Government educational institutions aren’t fully equipped with Digital equipment. This is one important drawback to implement digital education in government education system. Some schools have the digital equipment but they aren’t enough to implement.
- It needs much budget. At the same time all teachers need technical training regarding to digital education.
- Most of teachers accustomed to classical teaching methods. Some teachers may not able to adopt this modern methods.
By observing contemporary consequences, I think it is the right time to implement digital education in government education system.
Stay home stay safe…
Yours loving friend